Latest Post

Ford’s South African Bakkie Factory: A Million Reasons to Celebrate! Algeria’s Ambitious Helicopter Manufacturing Venture: A Comprehensive overview

Algeria has been making significant strides in the aerospace industry, with a particular focus on helicopter manufacturing. In this article, we will delve into the details of Algeria’s Helicopter Manufacturing Venture, including timelines, partnerships, and production plans.

Are you looking for affordable Private Healthcare for you and your family? Get Day-to-Day cover including access to Private Doctors, Virtual Doctors, Dentists and more

Background

In 2016, Algeria announced its intention to establish a helicopter production plant in partnership with an Italian company. This move was aimed at diversifying the country’s economy and reducing its reliance on oil exports.

Key Developments

  • 2016: Algeria signs a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Leonardo (formerly Finmeccanica) to establish a helicopter production plant.
  • 2017: The Algerian government and Leonardo finalize the agreement, with the plant expected to produce 100 helicopters per year.
  • 2018: Construction begins on the Ain Arnat helicopter assembly plant in Setif province.
  • 2020: The plant is inaugurated, with an initial production capacity of 20 helicopters per year.

Partnership Details in Algeria’s Helicopter Manufacturing Venture

  • Leonardo: The Italian aerospace company will hold a 49% stake in the joint venture, with the remaining 51% owned by the Algerian government.
  • Technology Transfer: Leonardo will provide technology transfer and training to Algerian engineers and technicians.

Production Plans

  • AW249 Attack Helicopters: Algeria has ordered 24 AW249 attack helicopters, with an option for an additional 12.
  • AW-139 Helicopters: Algeria has ordered 10 AW-139 helicopters for search and rescue operations.
  • Civilian Helicopters: The plant will also produce civilian helicopters for the local market.

Future Prospects

  • Export Market: Algeria plans to export helicopters to other African countries and the Middle East.
  • Local Content: The plant aims to increase local content in helicopter production, with a goal of 50% local sourcing.

Conclusion

Algeria’s helicopter manufacturing venture marks a significant milestone in the country’s aerospace industry. With a strong partnership with Leonardo and a commitment to technology transfer, Algeria is poised to become a major player in the global helicopter market.

Timeline

  • 2016: MOU signing
  • 2017: Agreement finalization
  • 2018: Plant construction begins
  • 2020: Plant inauguration
  • 2022: Production begins
  • 2025: Expected increase in local content

The Key Players in Algeria’s Helicopter Manufacturing Venture

  • Leonardo: Italian aerospace company
  • Algerian Government: 51% owner of the joint venture
  • Ain Arnat Plant: Helicopter assembly plant in Setif province

References

Leave a Reply