Speak izy : Cars | Tech | Lifestyle
You not grown grown until you buy 4 brand new tyres at the same time .
* According to Wikipedia the word Tyre has been derived from French word tirer meaning to pull.
A ring shaped component that surrounds wheel’s rim to transfer a vehicle’s load from the axle through the wheel to the ground and provide traction on the surface over which the wheel travels.
* Tyres provide a footprint called a contact patch. It’s designed to match the weight of the vehicle with the bearing strength of the surface that it rolls over by providing a bearing pressure.
* In 1888 a German engineer Carl Friedrich also known as Karl Friedrich Benz , invented the 1st gasoline car fitted with unique metal tyres , covered with rubber and filled with air – Pneumatic tyre .
* The popular use of pneumatic tyres began 1895 after they featured in an automobile race from Paris to Bordeaux that year.
* Material of modern pneumatic tyres : Synthetic rubber , natural rubber , fabric and wire along with carbon black and other chemical components. Tyres are still used in various non automotive applications, such as some castors , carts , lawnmowers and wheelbarrows.
* Prior to the invention of Pneumatic or air filled tyres , tyres were made up of bands of leather or iron placed on wooden wheels. A craftsman known as Wheel Wright was famously recognised as the pioneer.
* Charles Goodyear discovered vulcanised rubber in 1839 by adding Sulphur, making it elastic and strong enough to be used as cushion tyres for cycles.
* In 1845 Pneumatic wheels or air filled wheels were invented and patented by Robert William Thomson a Scottish inventor had multiple thin tubes inside a leather cover so that the tyre could absorb shocks .
* In 1888 John Boyd Dunlop from Ireland came up with the first practical pneumatic tyre which later became Dunlop tyres.
* 1891 The Michelin Brothers , Andre and Édouard invented the detachable pneumatic tyre.
To be continued….